Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#RPGaDay 18th - Favorite Game System

How is that a fair question?

First off, does it mean "favorite game to run?" "To play?" "For when I want to play some specific genre?" "Favorite system to hack for multiple genres?" "Favorite pick up system?"

I mean, if I wanted to play a game that delivers the sort of Dungeons and Dragons Experience that I and my group like to play, then I'd pick Pathfinder. That's the game we've more or less settled around for most of our weekly play. We've played a full campaign from planned start to finish, we're working our way through Rise of the Runelords and we're probably going to play another AP after that. If I were feeling up to the time commitment, I'd probably want to run (just based on the summaries on the Paizo Page, and listening to an AP podcast) Carrion Crown or Mummy's Mask. (Though Iron Gods looks pretty sweet.) But running a Pathfinder game, especially with a large, experienced group, would be pretty challenging.

I've wanted to run a supers game for our group for a while. I'd like to use Mutants and Masterminds, and not just because Vigilance Press pays me to write M&M stuff for them. It's a good supers system that has enough flexibility and crunch to do just about any kind of super-heroic stuff. That said, I'd also run Icons or Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. (Probably MHR because one of the campaigns I have in my head is cosmic supers and scaling Icons for cosmic would require a little system hacking.) 

I guess if we're talking "a game I can muck around with to use for different genres" then FATE is the way to go. Fate Core is pretty simple and I can pick up Dresden Files if I want to use it for urban fantasy/horror, Atomic Robo for pulp super-heroics, and the different hacks out there for other genres. I'm looking forward to an upcoming Steampunk Fate game (The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences) and Fate Cthulhu. I'm also a fan of the Strange Fate hack used in the Kerberos Club, which is a supers hack, even if it's a steampunk setting. That said, I've only played/run Spirit of the Century twice, so I'd need to play or run more Fate to commit to liking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment