Friday, August 15, 2014

#RPGaDay 15th - Favorite Convention Game

I'm going to cheat and break this into two answers.

Favorite Convention Game I Ran: A Vampire: The Masquerade round where the PCs were charged by the Prince of London to catch Jack The Ripper, who he believed was a vampire. We did a LOT of research (probably too much, since the handout we gave them was pretty long AND not really useful with regards to catching the Ripper) on the killings and put a lot of work into the various NPCs and suspects. One of the upsides of running the same round over and over is that each time you do it, you get better at it, and little details pull together so by the end, it's so much better than the one you started with. The twist to the game was that the Ripper was a normal guy (one of the folks Ripperologists often point to, but honestly I don't recall which one). So when they show the Prince the Ripper, he tells them "I told everyone the Ripper was a vampire. So which vampire was it?" And then the PCs get to pick who they want thrown under the bus. By that point, they've done enough investigation of  the vampire suspects that there are good reasons to do so, but it's still a quandary.

Favorite Convention Game I Played: Geez, that's tough. I usually run games at cons. But the times I went to GenCon, I played more than I ran. I think I ran Bloodshadows for WEG once to get some WEG swag, but other than that, I played, which was a nice change. I recall having loads of fun in a Shadowrun round where me and another guy played a couple of ork (or maybe troll) street samauri called "Dis" and "Dat" and we decided to tawk in think Brooklyn accents. That was a hoot, just because we were being goofy while mowing down Renraku security guards. I also played a round of (there it goes again) Castle Falkenstein, which was Clue meets Murder on the Orient Express. It really didn't have anything to do with Falkenstein, as we were all normal people being blackmailed by "Mister Korper" (German for "Body", according to the GM), and we had to solve the murder before the train stopped. My character was a British Banker who stole bank funds to cover his gambling debts and then had to steal more to pay off Korper. I was an unashamed coward, so when I mouthed off to the German military officer, he challenged me to a duel and I told him "why would I want to do anything as bloody stupid as that? You'll kill me." We eventually figured out who the killer was (one of the PCs, of course), and I do have to give the guy who played the killer credit, he did a great job of misdirecting the rest of us and chasing leads until we finally found some clue that gave him away.

No comments:

Post a Comment