Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#RPGaDay 13th - Most Memorable Character Death

Well, I'm pretty sure I've had some PCs die but were resurrected so quickly it really didn't count. Similarly, I had a Villains and Vigilantes character die (which is nigh-impossible) back in high school but when I told the GM he'd killed me, he said "nope, you're not dead - you're just in a coma."

I think the only time I ever had a character stay dead was by choice. It was a 3.5 D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms. The premise was pretty nifty. The PCs had inherited a house, only to discover that there was an ENORMOUS dungeon in their basement. I picked an Assimar Bard, and quickly regretted it. Yes, his bardsong made all of the rest of the group happy, but I quickly discovered that Bardsong and an occasional buff were all I was contributing, when other party members (who knew the rules much better than I did) were becoming super-badasses. So instead of playing it safe (because I had a crappy armor class and few hit points), I played recklessly. I jumped into combat, usually helping out with bardsong and providing flanking bonuses. I rarely hit anything, but at least I was in the middle of the fun.

And then a purple worm ate him dead in one shot. I said "okay, I'm done with this guy" and made a reasonably optimized fighter. Yes, I was still weak sauce compared to the battle cleric and the mages of mass destruction, but I was having a lot more fun. And going with this new, reckless, attitude, we got our hands on a Harrowing Deck of Many Things. Normally, I avoid those things like the plague because I would rather not get super toys if it risked getting turned into something awful. Tymora was with me that night because I drew some really badass cards that made Gideon the Fighter one of the more powerful members of the group. Yeah, he lost the ability to speak and looked like a deformed freak, but he was Large Size, had an insane strength and a lot of new powerful magic items.

No comments:

Post a Comment